Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Most Important Meal...

There are many things I love about Saturdays.

The lack of an alarm.

The idea of drinking several cups of coffee in my pajamas.

And making and eating a breakfast that isn't consumed while I frantically try to get ready for work.

This is such a breakfast.  And bonus!  It's healthy!



Let's get this out in the open.  There isn't much I wouldn't do for a good pancake.  They are, however, not the healthiest thing in the world, especially when you like them huge and fluffy and drowning in butter like I do.

And since it's summer and I'm trying to be healthy, when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it.  Because while it has flour like regular pancakes, the main ingredient is quinoa.

A healthy grain!  One I've been dying to try since I got a nice bag of it at a local farm.

And they didn't disappoint.  The quinoa gives the pancakes a hearty texture that's a tad nutty and so delicious.

They come together like any other pancake.

Your dry ingredients...

 Combined with your wet...


And then a lovely hot nonstick griddle...






The recipe didn't actually call for fruit, but I had also gotten a huge quart of blueberries at the farm so I threw them in for good measure.  Also, you can freeze the leftovers!  Easy breakfast for the weekday rushes!

Blueberry Quinoa Cakes (Adapted from Everyday Food)
(Makes about 12 cakes)
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
  • 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup nonfat milk
  • 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (more if you want to top the cakes with it)
  • 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
In one medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (quinoa, flour, baking powder, salt).  In another bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, butter, milk, and syrup until smooth.  Combine and fold in the blueberries.

Spray griddle with nonstick butter spray.  Heat over medium-high.  Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto griddle.  Cook until bubbles appear on top (about 2 minutes).  Flip, and cook for just over a minute on the other side.  Serve how you like your pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment