Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back to School, Back to Packing Lunches...

Ah, the new school year.  New clothes, new backpacks, new school supplies.  A return to nights of barely sleeping because I'm lesson planning.

And a return to brown bag (or in my case, a lovely Vera Bradley bag from my parents) lunches.

I tend to see September as another January 1st situation.  I'm getting back into my routine so this is my chance to once again start a healthy eating habit.  Which I at least try to keep up with during the week, before happy hours and dinners out rear their heads on the weekends.

I found this recipe in Everyday Food and was immediately intrigued.  I'm not a huge salad fan, but I do have a big love for arugula.  I switched up some of the ingredients (thanks Trader Joe's!) and a new favorite was born.





The best part?  How easy it was.  The recipe serves four, so I had one serving for dinner and then packed three away for the week.  And it just got better the longer it sat.

Arugula, Chicken, and Rice Salad (adapted from Everyday Food)
Serves 4

2/3 cup brown rice, cooked
3 cups mixed fresh basil and parsley
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
5 cups wasabi arugula
7 oz.  cooked chicken breast
2 tbsp. chives
1 large zucchini, roasted with salt and pepper

In a blender or mini food processor, blend herbs, oil and vinegar until roughly chopped, scraping down the sides as needed.  Add about a 1/4 cup of water and blend again, until mixture is pourable and smooth.


Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, toss arugula with 3/4 of the dressing. 


On a small plate, shred (or chop, whatever you prefer) your cooked chicken breast.



In bowl, stir together rice, chicken, chives, zucchini and remaining dressing.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scoop about a 1/2 cup of the mixture onto a bed of the arugula.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment